c years that goes to the team that qualifie | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
lw789
lw789 Oct 13
DENVER - Carlos Gonzalez is crossing his swollen left index finger that a little break can finally fix his dinged-up digit. Maxx Williams Jersey . After dealing with a finicky finger for most of the season, the Colorado Rockies All-Star outfielder was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday. A difficult choice, he said, but he decided that enough was finally enough. Unable to grip the bat with the finger so inflamed, his average has dipped to .255 this season. This from a career .300 hitter. "Everybody knows Im not the same player out there," the 28-year-old Gonzalez said. "I dont think its just smart to play that way and keep hurting the team when I have teammates that are doing really good. I think this is the best option right now." To take Gonzalezs place on the roster, the Rockies recalled infielder Ryan Wheeler from Triple-A Colorado Springs. They also recalled catcher Michael McKenry from Colorado Springs and designated catcher Jordan Pacheco for assignment. The break will give Gonzalez a chance to rest not only his ailing finger, but a balky left knee thats given him trouble at times. "Deep down, he feels like this is his best shot to get healthy," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said. "I told him that there are four months left in the season. A couple of weeks right now to be healthy the rest of the way? That would be a good trade off." He agreed. An easy decision given the way his replacement in left field, Corey Dickerson, is swinging the bat right now. Dickerson is hitting .345 with seven homers. "A guy whos been really hot like Dickerson — I think hes the best option right now at the plate," said Gonzalez, who was bothered by a sprained right middle finger last season, playing in just 19 games after the All-Star break. "For me, Ive just got to heal and be the CarGo that everybody knows." Head trainer Keith Dugger said the plan is to simply let the finger rest for a little bit. They will also massage the digit and do "some little tricks we have." "He just needs time off from swinging — bottom line," Dugger added. "I cant give you a timeframe. I dont know if two weeks is going to be enough." Dugger said they will test out the finger in about 10 days. "If theres no improvement, you back off again," Dugger said. "If theres improvement, you move forward." Weiss remains confident that once Gonzalez gets his finger situation resolved, hell return to the form that led him to be an All-Star the last two seasons. "His track record is pretty good," Weiss said. "Hes going to hit and hes going to perform. Its just tough performing in this league, trying to work around nagging injuries." Austin Howard Jersey . The Mavericks avoided a season sweep by the Nuggets, who ran away with a win in Denver two weeks ago to hand Dallas its longest losing streak at three games. Dallas (42-28) got a boost in the playoff race when Miami rallied from seven down in the last 3 1/2 minutes to beat Memphis 91-86 Friday night. Jimmy Smith Jersey . “The shootout, theres nothing wrong with it, I think its an exciting part of the game but its just one small aspect,” said Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman. “Its a skill exhibition. If you can get it back closer to regular hockey and have it decided that way; that would be my preference.” “I dont think its a knock on the shootout, I think more of the managers would like to see it end in overtime,” added Washington Capitals GM George McPhee.MONTREAL -- Rachel Homans Canada team defeated Val Sweetings Alberta rink 8-6 to win a second consecutive Scotties Tournament of Hearts on Sunday night. The Ottawa team of Homan, lead Lisa Weagle, second Alison Kreviazuk and third Emma Miskew, defended the Canadian womens curling championship they won last year in Kingston, Ont. At 13-0, they are the first since Linda Moores rink in 1985 to go undefeated at the tournament. Homan took early leads all week and did it again by posting three points in the second end, although Sweeting answered with a hit for two in the third. Sweeting was a tad strong on a raise in the fourth and Homan came around the right side to hit for two. Alberta got one back in the fifth. Canada was in trouble in the sixth when a Sweeting draw left Alberta with three stones near the button, but Homan scattered them with a hit to salvage one point. Sweeting drew for two in the seventh to close the gap to one point, only to see Homan pick off two Sweeting draws to score two in the eighth. A Sweeting bid for a double takeout fell short and the Alberta skip was forced to draw for one in the ninth, handing Homan the hammer and a two-point lead going into the final end. Canada ran them out of rocks to clinch the victory. Prime Minister Stephen Harper witnessed the win from the grandstands at the Maurice Richard Arena. He was wearing a Canadian Olympic team jacket and posing for pictures with fans between ends. Harper has been to the mens Brier, but a curling official said it was his first visit to the Scotties Manitobas Chelsea Carey won the bronze medal game 7-3 over Saskatchewans Stefanie Lawton. It offered some consolation for not reaaching the final. Ray Lewis Jersey. "The disappointment doesnt go away, but you want to at least salvage what you can out of it," said Carey. "I dont agree with this even being a game. I never have. "The Page (playoff) system builds in a bronze medallist. But, as much as I disagree with the game, its nice to win a game to get there." Carey made two perfect draws to score two in the eighth end for a 4-3 lead. Lawton blanked the ninth and had the hammer going into the final end, but then disaster struck. Second Sherri Singler threw a flash, third Sherry Anderson hit a guard and soon there were five Manitoba stones ringing the button. Lawton tried to sneak in an angled raise with her last shot, but it couldnt get through and Carey got a steal of three. "It was worth a try,"said Lawton. "It was there...I had to stick it right on the nose. I couldnt roll off. But it was a bit too hard. We didnt leave ourselves in a great position to score one that end. "It would have been nice to finish with a medal, but Im proud of our girls. It was a great tournament for us. Its unfortunate how it ended." The winning team splits $25,500 and gets gold rings with a diamond, while the silver medallists get $15,500 plus a gold ring with a ruby. Careys squad gets $12,000 and a gold ring with an emerald. Because of her repeat win, the Homan teams diamonds will be twice the size of last year. Lawtons side gets $7,000. All 12 teams get $4,167 for wearing title sponsor crests. The winner usually gets $40,000 from the Own The Podium program, but in Olympic years that goes to the team that qualifies for the Winter Games. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '